Rob Moses has a specialty focus on RIAs, and can efficiently advise on all issues facing RIAs in today’s environment, whether it’s handling the registration process for a startup RIA or ongoing business, legal, enforcement, regulatory, compliance or supervisory matters for an established RIA.
A Registered Investment Advisor (RIA) is a person or firm that, for compensation, is engaged in the act of providing advice, making recommendations, issuing reports or furnishing analyses on securities, either directly or through publications. Individuals or firms that receive compensation for giving advice on investing in securities such as stocks, bonds, mutual funds, or exchange traded funds are deemed to be investment advisors. RIAs generally are paid a percentage of the value of the assets they manage for clients, an hourly fee, a fixed fee, and/or a performance fee. RIAs are typically registered with the U.S Securities and Exchange Commission or a state’s securities agency.
The regulatory environment that RIAs face has become much more complex, thus it is very important to engage experienced counsel when starting and/or operating an RIA. RIAs and their IARs must adhere to a fiduciary standard of care that requires them to act and serve a client’s best interests with the intent to eliminate, or at least to expose, all potential conflicts of interest which might incent one to render advice which was not in the best interest of the clients. Rob assists registered investment advisors with all issues they may face as they build and operate their RIA businesses, including but not limited to:
- RIA Advertising and Marketing Review
- RIA Advisory Agreements
- RIA Audits
- RIA Client Agreements
- RIA Code of Ethics
- RIA Compliance
- RIA Compliance Manuals
- RIA Disclosures
- RIA Due Diligence
- RIA Fiduciary Compliance
- RIA Form ADV, Form U4, Form U5
- RIA Employment Matters
- RIA Errors and Omissions (E&O) Insurance
- RIA Inquiries, Investigations and Exams
- RIA Regulatory Matters
- RIA Supervision
- RIA Written Supervisory Policies and Procedures
Additionally, Rob can efficiently and effectively take care of startup RIAs, with services that include:
- Preparation and filing of entity formation documents
- Preparation and filing of Form ADV (Parts 1 and 2 and schedules) to accurately correspond with and represent a firm’s business.
- Preparing and filing of registration forms for each investment adviser representative (Forms U4).
- Monitoring filings and responding to deficiencies through approval.
- Developing the following customized policies and procedures:
- Written Supervisory Procedures/Compliance manual
- Data Security Plan
- Code of Ethics
- Business Continuity Plan
- Review of standard marketing materials: stationery, business cards, letterhead, advertising, website, brochures.
- Review of Custodian Agreement
- Preparation of Advisory Agreement (client agreement)